Tuesday, August 15, 2017

I Am Testing Air Dry Sealers Again!

It seems I am forever testing air dry sealers to try to find one I can truly recommend to you all that works!  I have found a couple options that I would like to share.

One of the brands of air dry sealers that a lot of artists favor is DecoArt Soft Touch Varnishes.  They make 2 lines of it and either one will work because they are exactly the same.  To verify this, I called DecoArt myself this morning and asked.  I was told that indeed they are the same formula.  To use it stir it in the jar first to be sure it is mixed well.  You can paint it onto a piece of porous car washing sponge and pounce onto the vinyl.  This will leave a dewy textured finish. 


If you prefer a more matte finish like I do, use the varnish with corn starch in this method:   20 drops distilled water, 2 level Dash Spoons (or 1/4 tsp.) Corn Starch + 1 level disposable plastic spoon (like you eat with at a picnic) of DecoArt or Americana Soft Touch Varnish.  Melt Corn Starch in water first then add the spoon of Varnish to it.  Can be apply with a dampened wedge for a thin layer that is totally smooth. Force dry with a hair dryer. Reapply a 2nd layer if so desired.   I used this method to seal this kit in progress.

While I was on the phone with DecoArt, the representative mentioned to me that if I were looking for a more matte varnish that would work well on the vinyl I should try their Americana DuraClear Ultra Matte varnish.  So of course, off to Michaels I go today and got a bottle to try.

I am very pleasantly surprised on first application.   I think this is a go.  It is different than other sealers.  It is not a flat powdery matte but it is matte.  It is hard to explain but as long as this does not take back on any sheen over the next few days it is good.  I do think that you have to go over the more shiny areas twice.  I did...on toes, ankle creases etc.  So if someone likes a really matte finish (like me), 2 coats are best.  However, it is easy to pounce on quickly and I force dried it with a hair dryer in a matter of seconds. 

I started with a leg that I primed this morning, then this afternoon I pounced on some red mottling using a medium that I knew would leave a sheen behind.  Then I forced dried that with a hair dryer and waited about 10 mins. then pounced on the sealer.  (So yes, the paint is uncured but I was in hurry and pushed the envelope a bit.) 


In this first photo, I am trying to show a contrast.  I did not apply the sealer on the thigh above the green line.  The leg had a definite sheen over all to start.  Then I pounced on the DuraClear Ultra matte from the green line down all the way from the knee to the toes.



So it is really hard to see in the pics the difference from the sealed part to the unsealed part but what you can notice is that all that area that I pounced sealer on is not shiny.  This is huge because usually what happens for me is I apply a matte sealer and end up with a vinyl that is way shinier than I started with.  

When you touch the dry leg, you can feel the sealer a little bit on the leg and tell it has some matting agent in it.  It has a bit more texture feel to the vinyl than the Soft Touch varnish does but it is more matte than Soft Touch varnish by itself.  However, it is not rough feeling to me as a whole.
I would say that SoftTouch varnish mixed with corn starch is a tad more flat matte than this DuraClear Ultra Matte.  Yet, for artists who do not want to mix something up, I think this will be a good flexible varnish that can be used straight from the bottle and looks matte. 

If the leg takes on more sheen in the days ahead I will let you all know but for now I am keeping my fingers crossed! 

Happy dolly painting! 

UPDATE 7:54 am 8/16/17   The sealer still looks matte. 😄

1 comment:

  1. UPDATE 2/6/2020 - The Americana DuraClear Ultra Matte varnish is a good alternative for those looking for an out of the bottle decent varnish that is relatively matte. However, for the long term endurance I recommend the corn starch recipe using the Soft Touch Varnish or Golden Polymer Matte Varnish. I find the recipe holds up the best of anything I have done with air dry varnishes.

    ReplyDelete