Saturday, March 19, 2011

Rooting Hair Tutorial and Mom's Bonnie Chyle Reborn

Hello and happy Saturday afternoon!  Here in GA it is a warm 81 degrees.  Spring has sprung!  I have on my shorts and even fired up the window unit air conditioner in our bonus room.  That room gets a lot of afternoon sun so it is the first room to get hot.

I recently purchased some 43g 1 barb rooting needles from Hunnybuns and I can not tell you how much I LOVE these needles!  I had tried one barb needles before and couldn't root a thing with them but these pick up the hair very well.

Per request of one of the ladies on my chat board, The Reborn Connection, I have put together a VERY simple and quick video tutorial showing how to use this needle.  It isn't the best for closeups as I had my husband using his Droid phone to make it but it give you an idea of things.  You can laugh along at this quite country southern gal as I give you my discourse on how to micro root from cut ends and hand root from the middle using this needle.  I did not heat the head up for the video but I do suggest doing so using a heat rice sock so that the rooting is even easier.  I would also like to clarify that I just grabbed a section of mohair to make this quick demonstration and laid down more on the head so that it would show up on the camera phone video than in reality I would use if actually rooting a head.  Normally, I use a much smaller section of mohair, about 1/4 this amount.  Click link below to view the tutorial.

Rooting Tutorial using 43g 1 barb needle

I used this needle to micro root William's hair, rooting from the cut ends.  You can see how nicely his hair lays in this photo.


I also used this needle to root a Bonnie Chyle reborn I was making for my Mom.  I chose to do a hand root (not micro root) on this doll for a few reasons.  First being that she has such a large head and I hate to root and the other being that Mom doesn't care one way or another as to whether she was micro rooted.  As you can see from this photo, even using the old fashioned hand root method I got a nice head of hair that did not look all pluggy.




Yesterday I actually finished my Mom's reborn Bonnie Chyle baby and she came by in the afternoon to get her.  She was so pleased with the baby which made me very happy.  Here is a quick photo of her with her baby.


And this is my favorite close up of the baby.  Mom says she looks like she is about to get into mischief!

No comments:

Post a Comment